Home 

MYOB Users pressure MYOB Technology Pty to postphone their decision to cancel datafile reconfirmations!

  • 09 Dec 2011 12:22 AM
    Reply # 769481 on 768375
    Deleted user

    Well what a suprise, you offered as solution that would cost them a lot of time, effort, & money to challenge, and they backed down, albeit for now!

    Just two days ago I had an email from Mamut asking me to contact them with regard to migration to their software.

    I say you need to keep going as I don't trust them.

    One question, if we have already used the test confirmation codes you issued, will MYOB's confirmation codes still work?

    Thank you for your hard work which I'm sure has not been in vain.

     

  • 09 Dec 2011 1:47 PM
    Reply # 769776 on 769010
    Deleted user
    Amba Hall wrote:

    I absolutely agree with everyone and particularly Chris Nicholson's comment that MYOB are trying to undermine the user group so it closes down - and THEN they will switch off the system.

    In their announcement they make no promises for long term use of the software - merely a delay to "enable users to find an alternative".  That really says it all.  I don't WANT an alternative and £35 a year to have the peace of mind that I can continue to use MYOB is a very small price to pay.

    So keep going

    I fully agree with Amba.  MYOB Australia have not really made any commitments!  They have only confirmed in the short term to continue the service.

    Please continue this brilliant service!!!


  • 09 Dec 2011 2:35 PM
    Reply # 769785 on 769086
    Deleted user
    Mark Hill wrote:Thanks all for your posts.  I get the message.  We should continue as before seems to be the basic reaction from those that have posted so far.  That would imply that you would expect us to issue codes for 2012.  That in turn means that we would have restart the process... probably later this week.

    Bear in mind that this decision to start issuing codes may trigger a legal threat, but I suppose we knew this from the outset. 

    I would be particularly grateful if anyone who has a different opinion makes a post to express it now.

    Mark


    Mark, I find it a bit odd that the message about delaying the deadline has been targeted at the MYOBusers group, as a MYOB user I would have expected a call/email or some sort of communication to inform me of the extension, as not all MYOB users (many I'm sure) are members of the usergroup.

    Martin Bowden

  • 09 Dec 2011 4:35 PM
    Reply # 769854 on 768375
    Deleted user

    I find it a bit odd that the message about delaying the deadline has been targeted at the MYOBusers group, as a MYOB user I would have expected a call/email or some sort of communication to inform me of the extension, as not all MYOB users (many I'm sure) are members of the usergroup.

    Well, this IS odd, it's true.  Maybe MYOB/Mamut reckon that anyone NOT in the usergroup by now have already signed up to alternative software rather than just let their system expire in a couple of weeks.

    Or maybe they are just no longer communicating on an indiviudal basis with MYOB users since they switched off support and updates last year.

    Or (and here's the conspiracy theory!) the user group are the only ones they are interested in contacting because only they can shut it down!

     

  • 09 Dec 2011 5:47 PM
    Reply # 769890 on 768375
    My understanding of the announcement is that they definitely intend to turn off the confirmation facility - at their own convenience and at a time when they feel we have all given up - making MYOB User Group Ltd more essential than ever. They may or may not be intending to launch some kind of legal action but must understand that a. this would be extremely expensive for them since under UK law we own the software b. would still not prevent someone issuing codes in the future c. would be the worst possible publicity for a company claiming to provide a service to its customers (though we already know differently) and d. would not mean we all opted for Mamut software as an alternative to MYOB. In view of the above maybe now is the time to offer them a (very small) consideration to issue the fix so they they least get something rather than the resounding nothing they must now see is all they are going to get?
    PS May I add my sincere thanks to everyone who has made it possible for us to keep MYOB.
  • 09 Dec 2011 7:39 PM
    Reply # 769964 on 768375
    Deleted user

    I think it unlikely that MYOB/MAMUT will instigate any legal action against the user group for allowing existing MYOB customers to contine to run their (paid for) software.  The number of licenses involved is fairly small so it is probably not worth their while.

    However, I would be prepared to contribute to a defence to such action, if it occurs.  I hope it never comes to that - but I will not let them get away with this!

  • 09 Dec 2011 10:43 PM
    Reply # 770063 on 768375
    Mark Hill (Administrator)
    I would like to crystalise the discussion. 

    I think that we have to take the MYOB decision at face value.  They may turn off online confirmation but at least there is no great panic now.  We hold the cards - we can always revert back to manually calculated codes. 

    I would like to recommend that the Usergroup should undertake to provide confirmation codes mainly to those that feel that they would rather rely on the group than on MYOB and Mamut. We should start the quarterly calculation process, partly to demonstrate that we are a reliable backup if online confirmation fails.  Any member who wants a confirmation code should have one.

    There have been repeated reports of difficulties when members have phoned Mamut.  I therefore recommend that the usergroup particularly encourages all those on telephone dial up to use the Usergroup confirmation code service instead.  For similar reasons those on Mac OS Lion should be encouraged to use the usergroup service.  They seem to be having problems with the reconfirmation process and the new OS websecurity.  Rather than have to use Mamut's telephone service to obtain codes I would rather that such people simply used our manual service.

    However the Usergroup should not actively encourage any other members to transfer to our manually calculated codes at this stage.  We should not advise members to turn off the automatic online confirmation.  In the short term there is no need.  Our system is a safe backup.  We should be very careful, but we should also not say anything to imply that there is a crisis when actually there isn't.

    I recommend we give MYOB in Australia back the responsibility to confirm datafiles, including those datafiles for people who are not members of this group.

    I shall now prepare to implement this strategy - is it acceptable?

    Please note that I have created a new thread for people who have had bad experiences of the Mamut telesales desks.  Please share what may have happened to you with others.
  • 10 Dec 2011 9:01 AM
    Reply # 770344 on 768375
    Deleted user
    Please continue, i suspect that the decision may be a delaying tactic at best. £35 is a small price to pay for the knowledge that MYOB will continue to operate.
    Sean
  • 11 Dec 2011 10:47 AM
    Reply # 770923 on 768375
    Mark, please continue!

    However, for us members it is easy to say, please continue, but what if Mamut is taking legal action? 
    In that case, I think we all members should support Mark and carry the burden together!  

    of course, I would like Mark to continue.


    Udo

  • 11 Dec 2011 2:19 PM
    Reply # 770982 on 768375
    Deleted user
    Nice touch I thought, Mark, to point out to the Australian market that if MYOB purchasers here are experiencing the problems we are, what's to say they won't be in the same boat a few years on from here.
    I think MYOB OZ should take the opportunity to instill confidence in their products there by officially letting us use the software we paid for here
    Chris
© MYOB Users Ltd
Powered by Wild Apricot Membership Software